Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Football Season started

It's great to have the football back!

I am a season ticket holder on the Stretford end and watching United on Sunday has whetted the appetite for mondays visit of Tottenham Hotspur.

This week we have our godsons visiting us for a couple of days and when I asked the parents what shall we do, the reply was 'get a football thats all they play'. With 2 girls in the house they do not actively play football. The next problem was finding a ball to play. There are so many (when I was young there wasn't much choice but they were usually made of granite!!).

In the end I opted for the Premiership ball by nike. My god it was one hell of a ball. I could strike it no problem. It bought me back to a documentary a few years ago called 'has football gone soft' they interviewed seventies hard man Liverpool full back Tommy Smith. When they asked him about the modern day footballer he snarled ' kicking a balloon around a bowling green pitch' He went on to add they only time they played on grass was in August and late May. That is how I remember football. 11 men in battle on a mudbath of a pitch where the fans stood up and sang during the entire match with each stand taking it's turn.

I know events shook things up and it had to in terms of people safety but the footballers have become movie stars and untouchable. Years ago you could meet your hero in the pub and have the crack. These days with sports science they cant even eat a McDonalds without it causing a ripple. Anyway I am going of at a tangent.

For these new balls click here and see how your shooting will improve. 2 days of football with the boys to come. wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment