Friday, August 19, 2011

First Year of Self employment..Part One

I am going to share some insights into my first year of self employment. There has been highs and lows but in the end I have made that first year and still in profit and still functioning in a difficult market.

After being made redundant from a job I was in for 20 years it definately is a culture shock. I was looking after my young daughters so that kept me very busy but equally I wanted my market worth by child minding and building a business to keep me away from the world of employment.

For me the key factor is self motivation. I went from going to a office for 20 years and now I work from home. I have no boss to tell me what to do, I have no appraisal, No unions, No HR help no nothing all on my own (apart from wife and children).

You need to be very organised and that what you do is productive. Writing lists of what to do but if you dont do it dont beat yourself up things happen! So to help me I needed something to help me. Personal development was key. Unless you change how you are you will always have what you've got.

My source of inspirations came from business philosphers such as Jim Rohn, Stephen Covey, Anthony Robbins, Jack Canfield and Mark Hansen. Even it is a 20 minute read or listen to CD in car on a journey it can help.

I had the fortune to attend a Jim Rohn seminar before his untimely departure, but he had great wisdom and value and in a room with approx 3000 people he thanked us for coming and listening to him. It wasn't about him, he wanted to help people and that is a trait that many forget.

One key Jim rohn phrase I use when working in the midnight hour or starting to feel tired is 'without a sense of urgency, desire loses it value'. You have to keep going and if you want it badly you'll find a way to get it. think back to being a child when you wanted a toy or sweet. You would hatch a plan quickly and implement your strategy by talking, doing things and being persistant. A gift we then lose as we grow older as for some reason it is knocked out of us and we lose that gift.

This week sees the children or young adults awaiting the results of the A Level exams taken. There will be a lot of tension as university places up for grabs and UCAS will be under pressure to deal with. Good luck to all and I want to end by using some of my inspiration Jim Rohn to help you later on.

Formal education will make you a living, self education will make you a fortune.
The book you dont read won't help you.
Miss a meal if you have to, but dont miss a book.
The greatest gift of human imagination is that there is no limits and endings.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

but in the words of Mr Henry Ford 'whether you think you can or think you can't, your right'

Good Luck to all

for further reading please click on the names below and enjoy.

Jim Rohn
Stephen Covey
Anthony Robbins
Jack Canfield
Mark Hansen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment